Welcome

Welcome to this blog, linking The Open Channel and Optimum Interventions Ltd to provide you with views, opinions, interesting connections and information to engage and stimulate. Comments always encouraged. Look forward to hearing from you and do visit our websites at www.theopenchannel.co.uk and www.optimuminterventions.co.uk

Monday 20 June 2011

Nokia worth £15bn

Sometimes you just have to get it off your chest!


I read recently that Nokia's company value is £15bn, whereas in 2002 it's value was £285bn. Having been blighted with the Nokia E72 for almost 18 months now, I am not remotely surprised in this loss of value, given one person's experience of their technology. 


Yet, it all started so differently for me. I moved to Nokia after 8 years of suffering Blackberry; frustrated by their plastic construction, multiple hardware and software keyboard failures, total failure of a handset during a routine software update (yes, nudge the darn thing during a software download and a Blackberry is rendered useless forever - bet you didn't know that!), less-than-stellar Internet functionality (despite all the claims to the contrary) and the overall impression I was paying a lot of money for tools that weren't physically up to the demands I was making of them. 


Well, it would appear I hitched my desire for alternative mobile computing power to an imposter and I have enjoyed not a little guilty pleasure in reading that Nokia's stock has fallen so low. The serendipitous nature of stock markets might explain some of this fall in value, e.g. the 'masters of the universe' who decide these things in their trades and market analyses have opined on the talent and ability in the company, but I'd like to think it is also to do with my feeling that in 2011 I'm using a handset that responds to my needs like a 2002 model. 


Perhaps handset functionality and company value are finally coming into alignment?


Anyone else have tech. experiences that support this admittedly personal and idiosyncratic view? Tom Peters did once say though that suppliers of goods and services ignore the experiences and feedback of customers at their peril. As he put it, it might be one-eyed, anecdotal and personal - "but, it's my money!" 

No comments: